Monday, August 26, 2013

The Little Things

This week has been so full of small and simple blessings! I can't even believe how fast this week has gone by, and how many times Sister Aoina and I have felt the Lord's hand in our lives!

Last Sunday, a less active member of the branch came to church with a few of his kids. When we talked to him, we asked him what made him decide to come back.  He's been inactive for a few years now, so it was a HUGE surprise to see him. But he just told us that he felt it was time to come back...he said "It's been a long road..." so I think that he's going through some things and realized that he needed the gospel again.  AND THE BEST PART: He has 6 kids, and a wife!  They are basically the cutest family ever, they have 5 girls and one baby boy.  And so we went over to their house on Monday to meet the family, and Sister Aoina and I were so surprised at how welcoming and excited they were to see us.  But it just goes to show that the Lord really does know us personally.  He knows our struggles, and he prompts us to do things when we are feeling down.  I'm so glad that the dad listened to the promptings to come back to church, because now we are in the process of teaching the whole family.  We'll see how that goes.

Another great lesson we had this week was with Pate.  It was about the Plan of Salvation, and basically that is my favorite lesson to teach because my favorite thing to talk about is eternal families.  How lucky are we to be able to live with our families forever.  I LOVE MY FAMILY!  And I miss them a lot (Mom, don't cry, it's going to be okay…).  But basically, having that knowledge of eternal families isn't just something that I want for my family, but for EVERYONE'S FAMILY!  If Heavenly Father was able to create this plan for the family, then families must be pretty darn important!

Also quick story about a lady named Laisa- so her dad was the one who told us to go visit her.  A few Sunday's ago, he told us to come find his house so we could come say hi and teach his daughter.  Two weeks ago, we went to visit the him in his village for the first time, but we didn't call before we came.  But as we walked up to his house, there he is, just getting out of his shower in his towel.  Well before we had time to introduce ourselves, or anything, he shouts "Where have you guys been?! We've been waiting all day for you to come!''   He was laughing....but at first I thought he was mad, but apparently the elders before SIster Aoina and I came always visited his side of the village every Saturday in the afternoon.  Well since we didn't know that, we showed up a little late, and he was already getting ready to turn in for the night! AHH!!!  But he is actually the nicest man ever.  His name translates into "Hot Water" so we call him Brother HotWater...he made up a Fijian name for me and Sister Aoina, except I forgot what mine was…oops.  Anyways when we were teaching his daughter Laisa and her husband, we talked a little about how the gospel blesses families, and it reminded me of the Plan of Salvation, and how grateful I am for the knowledge that we can live forever with our families!

Anyways, another great week on the Garden Island of Taveuni.  We have District Conference in two weeks, where all the members from Taveuni, Rabi, and Vanua Levu will have a broadcasted meeting, and it's here in Somosomo so that's going to be exciting.  Hopefully there's enough internet connection for that...

Love you and miss you all!

Loloma levu,
Sister Trammell


Kara's flat (this is where she and her companion study)


Kitchen

Kara's flat from the outside


Typical road Kara walks on while tracting in Somosomo


The Taveuni Princess, her transportation between the islands


Sunset in Nadi


LDS Church in Somosomo


The first time Kara saw the beach while she was tracting, 
so she took a picture of how gorgeous it is


Kara's Mission District