Sunday, August 3, 2014

Our Own Ways to Learn

HI FROM LABASA!

Oh wow, this week was totally awesome!  I am SO happy to be back here in the Friendly North.  Just like it says in the name, it is so FRIENDLY!  I'm here now with my beautiful companion, Sister Pauga.  She's from New Zealand and we are having so much fun together.  We’ve had a great week trying to help me get to know the area and the members and everything.

So Tuesday was my last day in Suva 3 :(  It was hard to say goodbye, but it's not really a goodbye...more of a 'see you later!’  Anyways, at 3AM we woke up on Wed to catch the plane to Labasa.  It is so great out here.  Wednesday and Thursday and Friday we went around the areas close to our flat to get to know everyone.  We even taught Seminary on Friday!  That was exciting!

Saturday was our most exciting day.  We went on the search for a recent convert.  Well we took the bus, got off, and asked for directions.  They told us we got off the bus too early, but to just keep walking about an hour that way.  Well an hour isn't too bad, so we started off.  We got hot and tired, so we stuck our thumb out.  A nice couple picked us up in their truck, asked where we were going, and told us that it's like 9km away, which is really far.  Its definitely not an hour walk, but oh well!  We finally got to our friend's house.  Turns out, he was in a car accident earlier this year, and is paralyzed on the left side so he can't walk or do anything himself.  He hasn't been to church since then, and since he lives SO far away (like over the river, behind two mountains, and then down the backside of the valley) he hasn't had visitors in a long time.  We shared a scripture with him about how no matter what circumstances we are in, God loves us and knows our situations.  Just because we have difficulties and trials, that doesn't mean God hates us and wants to punish us.  There are things we need to learn, and we have to learn them somehow, so we need to be grateful that this is the way we each get to learn it individually.  Any other way wouldn't have been what WE need!

I've been thinking a lot about the different experiences I've had on my mission, both happy and sad, good and bad, easy and difficult, and I'm so SO grateful that I experienced them the way I did because it has helped me learn the things I need to grow and become a better person.

Another thing that we talked about this week was focusing on "Where Our Treasure Is.”  We try to help people see that as long as our hearts and desires are focused on the things of God that everything will be okay.  In the April 2014 Conference, Elder Teh gave a GREAT talk.  I love it so much, and I've read and re-read it over and over again this week.  First we seek to become Christlike so that our desires will only be to do the things that He would do.  Then, we try to strengthen our family relationships.  This will bring us the greatest happines because I know for me, my greatest treasure is my family! (LOVE YOU TRAMFAM!)  Next, we try to be truly converted, a true follower of Christ.  "When we have been converted, strengthen your brethren."  And lastly, to study and live the doctrines of the Gospel and of the Savior.  "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness.  Then all these things shall be added unto you!”

Keep searching for those priceless treasures this week.  Follow your heart!

LOLOMA LEVU,

Sister Trammell


Sister Pauga, Kara and a friend from their new ward in Labasa

Wildife in Labasa





Kara sitting outside her new flat in Labasa