Sunday, February 9, 2014

But a Small Moment

In October 2013 General Conference, Sister Linda S. Reeves gave a really great talk during the Relief Society Session about the importance of going to the temple to claim blessings.  In her talk, she shared a story about the Provo Tabernacle that had burned down, but was then announced that it was going to be turned into a temple.  She said that Heavenly Father didn't cause the fire, but He let the fire happen to strip away the interior to allow for it to be turned into a temple.  She said that sometimes the Lord allows us to be tried, and tested, sometimes to our maximum capacity.  BUT, "He does not leave us in the ashes.  He stands with open arms, eagerly inviting us to come to Him."

Well, I have a slight fire blazing inside of me as well.  Not the one in my heart that is burning for missionary work, although that one is still a fiery flame.  For the past few months I've been getting strep throat every couple of weeks. Lots of medicines and doctors visits have helped it, but it still has come back.  Last week, the doctors told me that I need to get my tonsils removed.  So, I'll be going to New Zealand on Wednesday morning and will meet w/ a dr the next day, and then have surgery on the 18th of the following week.  I get to come back to Fiji the first week of March, so that's AWESOME!  But I'll be gone for about 3 weeks :(  And I’ll miss hearing/meeting Elder Andersen…BUMMER!  But it's okay.  I know that there is someone waiting in New Zealand for me to visit them, and so Heavenly Father is sending me on His errand there at this time.

I know that Heavenly Father isn't causing my tonsils to be sick.  I know I'm not being cursed, but He is allowing me to go through this trial to learn something.  And I have been learning new things each and every day, as I've been trying to prepare for what's ahead.  It's been really hard because I have to leave my Lami family.  Yesterday was my last Sunday, and it was definitely a tear-jerker.  I've become so close to my family here in Lami, and I feel like my work isn't finished yet, but I know that the Lord has a plan for me, and has many things for me to learn.  I'm excited to learn, a little scared, but I know that Heavenly Father will be helping me each and every step of the way.

In the Doctrine and Covenants, section 121, Joseph Smith pleads with the Lord to help the saints and him through their trials.  The Lord comforts him saying, "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;   And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.”  I think this involves a lot of trust in the Lord.  We have to trust Him enough to understand that even though we go through trials, if we remain faithful, and continue enduring the things we face, we will see the blessings and receive the rest after the matter.  But the next line of verse 9 is my favorite, and it was a definite answer to my prayers from this week.  "Thy friends do stand by thee…"  I was so worried about leaving Lami, I am scared to leave to New Zealand, I'm going crazy in my mind with all the things I wish I could be doing, but when I came to church on Sunday, and after saying goodbye to everyone in my testimony, I really felt that Heavenly Father blessed me with some of the best friends and family right here.

He hears and answers all of our prayers.  But HE knows what we NEED better than we do, and He will answer our prayers in the way that He knows will best help us to grow into the people He has designed us to become.

I'm sad to leave Lami, but who knows, maybe I'll come back!  We'll just have to see what the Lord has in store.  But I do know that He is always there when we need it.  He will never forsake us.  This gospel can strengthen us when we are feeling weak, and lift us up when we are in the deepest pits.  It guides us with it's light through the dark times, and no matter what, we will always have our Savior to lead us, guide us, and care for us as we travel through this mortal life.

I love my Savior.  I'm so grateful for His love and sacrifice.  Mosiah 3:7 says, "And lo, he shall suffer temptations, and pain of body, hunger, thirst, and fatigue, even more than man can suffer, except it be unto death; for behold, blood cometh from every pore, so great shall be his anguish for the wickedness and the abominations of his people.”  He really did feel all our pains, whether they be spiritual pains or physical.  Who am I to complain about some measly little tonsils when the Son of God suffered for all our pains and afflictions.  He knows me better.

Thanks for the prayers and love.  I hope that everyone is doing well at home, and if anyone has any tonsil issues, I'm sure the doctor in New Zealand could squeeze you in on the 18th with me! 

Loloma Levu,
Sister Trammell