Christmas festivities were great! Sister Faasalafa and I started our celebration on Christmas Eve. During the day, we had a district meeting, and then an awkward hour and a half until we had to go to our Zone activity at an old folk's home. So for that time, we went Christmas Caroling! We knocked on every house on our street, and sang them a Christmas song. IT WAS SO FUN! The first lady we sang to started to cry, which was really cute...and I know it wasn't because of our voices, I'll tell you that...it was because the Spirit of Christmas. Singing hymns really can help us feel the love and the Spirit!
We then we took an adventure to the Samabula Old Person's and Disabled home (not the real name) and we had a Christmas activity. The Senior couples planned it all- we sang them carols, some of the Senior Elders read a christmas story, and then they reenacted the Nativity Scene. It was actually so much fun, and really cute, especially because I think we might have been some of the only visitors they got that day, and maybe Christmas too. It was really fun, and it helped us spread some of the Christmas Cheer.
Christmas Day Sister Faasalafa and I went to the Bishop's house for lunch. It was great! I love the Bishop and his family, it feels like I am with my own family! Sister Faasalafa was able to call her family and set up a time for them to skype, and it was cute listening to her talk to them. Man, it got me really excited to talk to my family on their Christmas!
Day after Christmas was the BOMB DOT COM! Aka- American Christmas!!! I skyped home with the fam! Nothing's changed....WHICH IS GREAT! It's so good to hear that everyone from home is doing well! Shoutout to my Grammy and Papa, and the Colorado Cutlers for skyping in! And the California Cutlers for partying at my house! I hope that the rest of my family knows that I still love them, and that they can skype in on Mothers day :)
But I was really sad to say goodbye to the family. I knew it would be hard, so it was a good thing that Sister Faasalafa and I went to work after we said bye. It was actually a good thing because we went to go visit a less-active family and had a great lesson. When we first got there, they shared with us that earlier that morning, a butterfly had flown into their house. When butterflies fly into the house, it is a Fijian belief that they will have a visitor later that day, and guess what, that was us! Man, I love hearing stories like those. It's like the Spirit warns them that we are coming before we actually do, and they are so prepared. We shared the Joseph Smith History story about how after Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ and he told some people, he was made fun of, and people told him that there is no such things as visions. But, Joseph Smith held on to the things he knows to be true...he could not deny his testimony because he knew it, and God knew it. I look up to Joseph Smith a lot. His example is something that I try and learn from because he is a good example of standing up for what he knows is true. Just like President Uchtdorf said in conference, 'Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith.’ Another thing Elder Pearson said earlier this month was 'Starve doubt, and feed faith!” I know that when we feed our faith, when we feed our testimonies, we will be able to withstand anything that comes our way!
We are really excited that this week is a new week, and a new year! I've been reflecting on all the hip-hop-and-happenings of this past year for Sister Trammell, and I can hardly believe how fast it has gone. I'm so grateful for the opportunity we have to look back at how much we have changed. It gives me hope that I can keep growing spiritually like I have been so far in the mission field. I'm excited for what this next year has in store for me, and the rest of everyone!
I'm so grateful for the gospel, and how it helps us become the people that we want to be, and the people that Heavenly Father designed us to be! Even though we all have our own trials and struggles, He knows exactly what we go through, and how to help us. There is a time and a season for everything, and thanks to the gospel of Jesus Christ, it can always be SUMMER! We just have to open our hearts and let Him in!
I hope that everyone had a great Christmas, and I wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR! Be safe, and make those New Year's Resolutions! And keep them! :)
LOLOMA LEVU,
Sister Trammell
Christmas Eve activity
Sister Collins and Kara
Kara's family away from home