Thursday, June 20, 2013

Halfway

I have officially completed half of my time here in the MTC.  I can't believe I'm starting my 4th week already! It seems like it goes by so quickly, but the days feel long as they pass. But things are still great! 

This week was awesome, my companion and I had some really great lessons.  Remember how last week I was super nervous to do TRC? Turns out it's not actually that bad. Some return missionaries from Fiji were our investigators, so they were totally fine with us messing up and basically speaking broken Fijinglish. So it went well, and hopefully it just gets better as we go along. Sister Crowell and I can basically get through a lesson talking about gospel things really well, except then when the small talk comes out, I usually just sit there, smile, and give them a thumbs up. Fake it till you make it, right? My teachers always ask me if I understand what is going on...even if I don't have a clue, I just deny deny deny, and say that I know exactly whats up. Usually I can just use context clues to figure it out haha.

Also this week for service, Sister Crowell and I were changed to be the flagpole girls. Basically, there are like 30 something flagpoles around the MTC, and we got to pick which flags got to be put up! It was awesome! Of course we put the Fiji flag RIGHT in the middle. And then included most of the other polynesian islands OBVIOUSLY! We can't leave out our friends. It was really fun, and we felt so lucky to have the chance to do that haha.

Also this week, we had the chance to hear from two really great speakers. On Sunday night, Brother Allen from the MTC director of something or other came and spoke to us. He produced lots of Homefront commercials, like the really old mormon messages that used to be played on TV, and we watched those the whole time. They are pretty hilarious, if you haven't seen them, just go onto Mormon.org or something and search homefront commercials. Or something like that...I can't remember.  But it was great.

Also, Elder Gay from the Seventy came and spoke on Tuesday. He opened by saying "As missionaries, you have the power to ASTONISH the world." Well that immediately grabbed my attention. So his whole talk was on how as missionaries, we are given power from the Lord to astonish those we teach with the message we bring. I loveloveloved his talk, and he especially stressed the importance of having the Spirit with us at all times. Missionary work is revelatory work, and we can only receive the inspiration from the Spirit if we are exactly obedient to how the Lord needs His work done. I think that we can apply that at all times of our lives! When we are exactly obedient to the promptings of the spirit, we are more likely to receive more so that we can be exactly what the Lord needs us to be, say the things the Lord would have us say, and serve the people whom the Lord knows need to be served! I love having the Spirit as a companion, and I hope that as I continue to be obedient, that I'll be able to have the Spirit at all times to be directed and guided! 

Anyways, that's pretty much all for this week. Oh yeah, I saw a couple get engaged at the Provo Temple on Sunday...right in front of the entire MTC. So that was really exciting hahaha. Well have a great week! I miss you all, and I love you!  Be obedient so you can have the Spirit with you!

Love,

Sister Trammell



Kara's friend Brooke was her Host who met her at the 
MTC the day Kara arrived at the MTC


Kara's Jerusalem friends Sister Jenessa Hutchins and Sister Jessica Charters


Kara's friend from home Sister Adrienne Whitlock


Elder Moka, Sister Wright, Sister Tuahivaatetonohiti, Elder Tafunai and Sister Crowell


Sister Tuahivaatetonohiti and Sister Crowell
#missionarylyfe


Missionary District at the Provo Temple


Studying hard


Kara and her companions
Sister Crowell, Sister Tuahivaatetonohiti and Sister Wright


Kara and her companion Sister Crowell doing
their service w/ their jet pack vacuums 



Laundry day


Kara and her companion Sister Crowell


Sister Tuahivaatetonohiti helping raise the flags at the MTC


#fijirocks