Sunday, December 15, 2013

Doubt not, but be believing!

There are so many things I wish I could say, so I'll try and get as many of them down as I can!
Things in Lami are going pretty well.  The work is slowly progressing, and we are getting to know more and more people each day.  Sister Faasalafa and I have been trying hard each day to open our mouths and talk to as many people as we can.  We've been reading from Preach My Gospel about how to find people to teach and it's been really inspiring to us.  Because we are still new to the area, our teaching pool is kinda slacking at the moment, mostly we visit recent converts and less actives, but this week we found some people who are interested in taking the lessons.  We’ve used the "Never-Ever-Ever" Rule that we learned from mission conference last week.  Never, ever, EVER leave a house without asking for a referral- we always ask ' Is there someone that you know who would be interested in hearing about the gospel?" Or asking them if someone wants to hear about the Christmas message.  It’s been such a blessing to us because we've been lead to and given the names of many people whom we are going to visit in the next week.  Each morning, Sister Faasalafa and I have prayed for Heavenly Father to guide us to His children who are prepared and ready to hear the gospel, and our prayers have been answered.  Some days started out really slow for us, and seemed like they were going to not be so great, but by the end of the day, there was always a miracle that we were able to look back and see the tender mercies!

Our motto this week was 'Doubt not, but be believing.”  Each morning, we went out believing that we would be lead to those who were in need of our help and love, and each day we found someone that we felt needed us!  One day this week, we were out walking around trying to meet up with our investigators for a lesson.  They all were not home, so that was kind of a bummer, but it gave us the opportunity to talk to some of their neighbors.  Turns out that one of them was interested in our message, and asked us to come back this week.  We are really hoping and praying that their hearts will be open to us when we go back! 

Another cool experience, we were teaching a boy whose parents are members, but he hasn't been baptized yet.  So we show up at his house, and it's just him and his sisters, and then a few of his friends.  We asked if we could start the lesson, and he asked some of his friends to stay.  We taught about prophets, and how important it is to have a Prophet on the earth today.  If we didn't, we would be so lost!  But after the lesson, one of the friends asked us if he could take the lessons too.  He also came to church yesterday with his friend!!!  It was really great, and it was a sweet missionary experience for the investigator and his friend.

One of my favorite experiences from this week was one lady who found the missionaries, and asked for them to come teach her.  The Elders referred her to us, so we went and sat down with her on Saturday.  Turns out, she lives in a different koro, and is staying here in Lami for a few weeks.  But she started the lessons from her own koro, and wanted to continue them while she was away.  Her hunger for righteous and knowledge was such a testimony builder for me.  I hope that I can be like her and always be looking to learn more and more about this gospel.  She’s planning to be baptized next month back at her house, but it was just so exciting to meet her.  The Spirit was so strong when we went to her house, it just enveloped us in a big warm hug!  And turns out, her husband is a member, and introduced her to the church. and they just had a baby a few months ago.  This little family is such a sweet blessing.  I am so happy that we got to meet them beacuse it just testified to me the importance of family, and how much it means for us to be sealed to our family forever.  As the sister we taught bore her testimony, she said how excited she was, and how much she wants to be sealed forever because she loves her daughter and her husband so much, she wants their family to be forever.

We also are excited this next week to be able to have a ward Christmas party!  We are hoping to invite some of the less-actives, as well as our investigators.  What a great opportunity for us to help others feel the Christmas spirit, and the love of this gospel.

I am just so happy this Christmas season.  Even though I'm far from my family, and I miss them SO MUCH, I feel lucky and blessed to have a Heavenly Father who loves me, and cares for me, as He loves and cares for ALL His children! No matter what, our Father in Heaven loves us, and wants us to return to Him.  And that's a universal message that everyone needs to hear- that they are loved.
Thanks for the prayers, I can feel the support coming from home.  I just pray that I can be the instrument that God needs right now here in Fiji, and that I can be listening to the Spirit to find those who are in need of our help. 

Loloma levu,

Sister Trammell

PS- Special shoutout to my homegirls from the Relief Society in the Heritage Oaks Ward.  I just got the sweet notes from you, thank you so much for the love and support! I love each and every one of you, and I'm so grateful to have examples like you in my life!  I hope you all have a great week!!!!

Kara making a sasa broom

Kara at the top of Qauia village after hiking uphill in the hot hot heat!